Monday, January 30, 2023

Who am I?

                                            

                                                           

              Digital Visitor or Resident?



Dear reader, I engage online in a mixture of Visitor and Resident modes depending on my needs. I consider myself mostly as a Visitor on approaching online tools for my personal use, however at my workplace I am mainly a Resident. As I am always very busy, I don't like to spend much of my personal time online. That's why I prefer quickly to check my messages and communicate with my family and friends using only Telegram application. Nevertheless, I am always active online during my working hours at BST. We use Outlook email tool to communicate with colleagues and to complete the assigned tasks from the SLT members. Also, we use Seesaw platform to communicate with parents and share daily learning practice, as well as children's learning photos. 

Another reason for being mostly a Visitor in my personal life is to eliminate the leak of personal information to students and parents. Kuehn L. (2012) states that " Teachers who try to live the duality of Visitor and Resident may find that their Resident personality is found by their students and creates an unintended crossing of professional boundaries." Personal social media accounts may easily become public, so educators should be cautious about what they publish in any capacity to avoid the later misunderstandings. 

Moving to the insights of Global Campus platform, it is a unique online platform for Nord Anglia schools. There are 81 Nord Anglia family schools around the world and this platform connects all of them together as one whole. Students complete different interesting activities through Global Campus and share them with each other. As a Global Campus Lead in BST, my job is tightly connected to this platform as I assign activities to the classes and monitor the students' progress.

Reference: 
Kuehn, L. (2012). No more “digital natives” and “digital immigrants”. Our Schools Our Selves, 129-132, p.21.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Short online course description for EAL learners

We as teachers have golden opportunity to help our students succeed in ways we have never had before. As educators it is important that we u...